SURENDRANATH COLLEGE FOR WOMEN
Short History of the library:
The Library of Surendranath College for Women has been working independently since 1962 in the same premises with Surendranath Group of Colleges. In 1996 the library has been shifted to the new premises.It is located in the western side of the ground floor of the building. Apart from the central library the college has seminar libraries under different honours departments.
Objectives, Purpose and Functions:
The basic common efforts our college library is to meet the legitimate needs and demands of all their users from the senior professors engaged in research work to the fresh students just
Location and Layout of the Library:
The library is now located at the western side of the ground floor of the college building. It covers the floor area of 2500 sq.ft along with the mezzanine floor.
The ground floor of the library has been divided into Students reading room, Stack room, Lending and Reference section, Computer Unit and Librarians Chamber. The mezzanine floor has also Stack Room and faculty members reading area.
The seating capacity of the Library Reading Room:
More than 28876 books (up to academic year 2022-2023) are in the central library and seminar libraries. The collection reflects the educational philosophy and objective of the institution.
Every year the college spends a large amount of money to buy books both text books and reference books in large numbers to provide learning infrastructure to its students. Books of all the courses offered in the college are available. The college library has given special consideration to the books required by students to prepare themselves according to the curriculum CBCS during the last few years.
|Academic Year||Total Books||Text Books||Reference Books|
Journals and Periodicals and Newspapers:
At present our college library subscribes 18 journals/periodicals on different disciplines.The library subscribes 9 daily newspapers(English, Bengali, Urdu & Hindi)
An online public access catalogue Online Public Access Catalogue, popularly known as OPAC is used for providing a bibliography of the books available at the central library. This online access catalogue is accessible both by teachers and students.
The library is managed with a help of a library management software from LIBSYS, called LS Remote Solution (version LS 10) from 2009 onwards. With the help of this software the library of our college is partially automated now. The manual catalogue is replaced by digital catalogue and had been made available to all students and teachers.
Library Hours:7.00 A.M. to 2-30 P.M on all working day.
Membership:All regular students of the college are eligible for the membership. By producing the computerized admission pay slip the students can prepare the library card from the library for an academic session. Students must renew / issue their library cards in the next academic session.
- Internet Service.
- Reference Service.
- Notification of new New Arrivals.
- Daily News Paper (English, Bengali, Urdu & Hindi)
- Availability of Journals & Periodicals.
- Career guidance Service
Rules & Regulations:
- 1St year students can borrow 1 book at a time and 2nd year & 3rd year students can borrow 2 books at a time.
- Books are borrowed for maximum 15 days.
- Penalty for defaulters may be imposed according to the library rules.
- Books are issued against requisition slip filled up by the students. Home issue books are issued from 7-00 A.M to 1-00 P.M.
- Books for reading within the library cannot be taken out of the library. The day issue books are issued till the library closed.
- Reference books are not allowed to be borrowed.
- Regarding books borrowed from the library, attention of library staff should be drawn in case of any defect or damage. Otherwise, the last borrower will be responsible.
- Books are to be replaced by the borrower in case of lose or damage.
- All the information related to the library will be published on the notice board for the library.
Library staff are committed to fulfilling their mission through service and education. All are very Co-operative and encourage full access to library information resourcesand service. Each and every suggestion is valuable for the effective and smooth running of the library and for that suggestions are invited from students, faculty and staff.