History of the Department:
The Department of Sanskrit started its voyage in 1964 with the introduction of Bachelor of Arts in Sanskrit Honors and General Courses. Dr. Gita Palit was the originator of this Department. She was a good and efficient teacher. After her retirement, Dr. JyotsnaGyneholds the baton of the Department in 1995. Dr. Gyne was a very good as well as well-wisher personality. She contributed a lot of money to the prize distribution committee for successful students in Honors Course. After her sudden demise, the charge of the Departmental was handed over to Dr. Papri Roy. Dr. Roy was an accomplished academic personality. She had published several books in Sanskrit. She was proficient in Music and obtained a degree of Geetabharati from Geetabitan, Kolkata. All India Radio had broadcast her NazrulGeeti several times. In her period, the Department had gotten two part-time teachers named Sri JyotirmoySarkar and Smt. Aparna Mukherjee. In 2001, Dr. Samir Kumar Mukhopadhyay joined this Department as a Reader. He was also a good scholar in Sanskrit. Dr. Krishnananda Chakraborty joined as a part-time teacher in 2002. He had published one book, and articles in different journals.
In 2017, Dipankar Karmakar and Shefali Mandal have joined this college.
Detail of Future Activities:
- To create the environment of Sanskritic culture in the campus.
- To make Sanskrit and Shastra learning popular in the surroundings areas by offering several courses.
- To translate modern subjects and scientific texts into Sanskrit, and publish them.
- To take up projects to edit and publish the rare and unpublished Sanskrit manuscripts.
- Preparation of reading material for classics / Shastric texts in Simple Standard Sanskrit.